Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Thursday, June 08, 2006

And So It Goes With God

I just finished reading Life of Pi for the second time. I'm supposed to discuss it with a reading group Sunday afternoon, so I'm going to save blogging about the book as a whole until later. But there is one line I just had to comment on now.

At the end of the book, Pi is telling his story to some men who clearly do not believe him, so after giving up on convincing them he is telling the truth, he tells them an alternate version of the story that he suggests they might find more plausible. This seems to only confuse them even more. Then he asks which story makes the better story, the first one he's told about his experiences in surviving months in a lifeboat on the Pacific Ocean, the story that is full of animals, or the second story that has no tiger in it.

The men agree. The better story is the one with animals.

To which Pi replies, "And so it goes with God."

Wow. That line gives me shivers. I'm going to spend the next few days deciding what I think it means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home