Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Sunday, March 05, 2006

This I Believe

My religion is kindness.

I first heard this from the poet Gwendolyn Brooks at a meeting I attended in Chicago some years ago. Later, I read that the Dalai Lama said it. He also said that "the best person to teach kindness is an enemy."

For years on end, while I was not going to church, I would repeat this as a kind of mantra when questioned about my beliefs—My religion is kindness.

It didn’t escape my notice that the lesson I learned via poets and Buddhist leaders had also been taught by Jesus.

“This is my commandment,” he said. “That you love one another as I have loved you. (John 15:12)

And, “Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.” (Matthew 5:44)

This I believe. We were put on this earth by our Creator to show as much kindness and love to others as is in our power, friends and enemies alike. Whether you are a Buddhist or a Baptist, if your religion is not kindness, you are doing it wrong. You have missed the whole point.

This I believe.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed when I notice the time of day you are posting these inspirational (a word I hate; sorry to resort to it) messages.

I like this idea. So many who profess to be Christian do not practice kindness. Or maybe they're like me and they try but fall short.

Jeanne

12:26 PM, March 06, 2006  
Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

You don't have to be that amazed. I just haven't figured out how to reset the time stamp. It isn't set to Central time. :)

I usually post early in the morning, but it isn't nearly as early as Blogger claims.

7:51 PM, March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home