Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday

If yesterday was Fat Tuesday, today must be the first day of Lent. I’m not Catholic, but every year I feel the urge to give up something around this time of year. Usually, I want to give up something silly like Pixie Sticks or hearts of palm or something I probably wouldn’t have run across anyway. When I’m really serious about it, I’ll pick something like chocolate or Diet Coke. Usually, I fall short of actually promising the Lord to give up Diet Coke, though. Maybe I’ll promise the cat or a friend or two, but that’s as far as it goes. Still, I believe that making big promises about how we will change our lives for the better and really meaning them is something we all ought to do. I also believe this is a lifelong process, not just something to be done once and feel satisfied with.

When was the last time you devoted yourself, really devoted yourself, to cleansing your life of something harmful in a true and deliberate spirit of prayer and meditation?

Something worth thinking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home