Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Dust Thou Art

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

This is from the Ash Wednesday service at my church last night. I learned some things there.

1) Lent is not just for Catholics.
2) Lent is an observance of Christ’s sacrifices, and that is why people sacrifice things in their own lives during Lent. It is a preparation for the observance of Christ’s crucifixion and resurrection.
3) Sundays don’t count during Lent. If I gave up Diet Cokes, I could drink them all day on Sundays if I wanted.

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

This is obviously a lesson in humility. I’m not sure how I was supposed to take it, but this is how I did take it.

1) Instead of dwelling on yourself and your own life, take time to contemplate the vastness and greatness of all creation and be thankful for it.
2) This life on this earth is fleeting. There is nothing you can accomplish on your own to change that fact.
3) Whatever you have and whatever you are, it does not come from you but from your Creator.

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home