Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Confession

Something was mentioned today about little, white lies, so I am feeling compelled to confess. Every Sunday morning, in front of God and the congregation of UBC, I tell a lie. I move my lips with the music, but I don't actually sing. I can't carry a tune in a bucket, but I don't want to appear to be unwilling to participate, so I just sort of fake it. Believe me. Nobody wants to hear my joyful noises even if they are unto the Lord. I'd feel a whole lot worse about this too if I didn't suspect others of doing the same thing. :)

That is all. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess, too, though I've gotten over the shame. Well, maybe not, but I have learned to brazen it out. I can't carry a tune and I'm tone deaf. I have even found a way to use my disability in teaching. I compare the ability to speak/write Standard English to the ability to sing. I think many of my students who speak a non-standard dialect enjoy hearing me confess that I can't sing. I also point out that while I can get through life without singing in public or in semi-public, they will be unable to get through life without revealing their inability to speak/write Standard English. (Yeah, I know many people object to the labels "Standard" and "non-Standard." I tried talking about Edited American English but nobody knew what I was talking about, even the classes I explained it to).

Jeanne

1:00 PM, April 10, 2006  
Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

I knew it! You never hear any bad singers at that church. I knew I couldn't be the only one keeping quiet just to be nice. :)

People always assume that because I like to write poetry I'm also good at music. Evidently, the two don't automatically go hand in hand. I think I may be even a little more sensitive to the cadences of words because this is the only kind of lyricism I can really hear.

4:03 PM, April 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can too sing. I've personally heard you sing "The Crazy Old Man from China" hundreds of times...perfectly in tune. :)

Rachel

6:49 PM, April 30, 2006  
Blogger Sharon Gerald said...

Ha! Hey, Rachel!

I think you were just being kind to think that sounded good because you were only 3. :)

Lot's of people have told me since then that I can't sing. I finally decided to just give up. But I'm still good for a round or two of "The Crazy Old Man from China." I can't wait till Matthew is 3.

8:43 AM, May 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home