Strong Refuge

I am as a wonder unto many; but thou art my strong refuge. Psalm 71:7

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Grow Toward the Light

This is my thought for the day. Grow toward the light.

I noticed this morning that one of my plants is all gnarled up and pitiful looking because I've left it in a room where the blinds have been closed for too long. It is straining and struggling for light. It has twisted itself into a very unusual shape just trying to grow in the direction of what little light it has had available. On the side farthest from the window, it is brown and wilted and very near death.

In the other room, plants that have had plentiful light are thriving, though they are still bushier and prettier on the sides nearest the window.

Don't struggle for light in your life. Open up and let it flow through you in abundance.

I always think I don't have time for things that bring joy into my life. I'm a very busy person, and I tend to become very anxious as more and more responsibilities pile up on top of me. I don't have time to go to Pilates classes in the evenings. I don't have time to go to church. I don't have time to go to the birthday parties for all of the little children in my family. I don't have time to go out to eat with friends or to spend my lunch hour strolling around town gabbing and giggling with a best friend. It would be easier in many ways to just sit alone in my windowless office all day (and all evening) getting done what needs to be done.

But I've discovered something important. I can't afford not to do the things that help me grow toward the light. When I put all of my time into work, I have less energy, more health problems, and more difficulty concentrating. No matter how much time I devote to work, it takes all of it to get it all done. When I devote time to other things, it still takes all of the time I have left to work, but somehow it still all gets done.

Let a little light into your life. Cultivate the things that help you grow toward the light.

I believe that time spent each day remembering our creator brings light into our lives. Start there, and all these things will be added unto you.

1 Comments:

Blogger TT said...

Excellent post. What a good thought for the day. I'm touched and encouraged.

8:53 AM, February 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home